Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Baby Borrowers - Revolting

By now you've all probably all already seen the fracas about the Baby Borrowers, an NBC program in which parents abandon their babies (yeah, I said it, ABANDON!) to teenage strangers for three days solid, leaving the infants to grieve for their parents as if they were kidnapped or orphaned, since babies can't be made to understand that their parents are coming back in a few days. I don't care that the parents are watching from behind a two-way mirror. The babies don't know that.

The focus of the program, of course, is on whether the teenagers can hack it as parents. We all already know people who were teen parents or raised by teen parents. Parenting is hard, and even harder on teens, that's all there is to it, so expect it to be frickin' hard, whoop de doo. Some hack it, some merely survive it.

But meanwhile, I am just sickened by the baby aspect of it. Who would do this?!

If it was for 8 hours a day, maybe it would be similar to daycare, and at least the babies would have their parents back for bedtime etc. But then you couldn't get to see how teenagers respond to being kept awake all night by a grieving infant, so I guess it wouldn't be as interesting.

I guess it's already too late, as the filming must already have been done. I'm still angry about it. Will they survive and grow up to be normal people? Probably; kids are resilient. But there are a lot of terrible things that kids can survive that you shouldn't inflict on them purposely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't think it was possible; but network TV has hit a new low. I'm guessing there was no IRB or HSRB involved in planning this social experiment. I question the sanity of the parents who willingly put their infants and toddlers at risk. I don't know what else to say.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home