Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Beach

We finally got a chance to take Limelet to a beach over the weekend.  I found a state park that's about an hour away.  It's the first long-ish car trip he's been on in....I don't know; a really long time, anyway.  Well, Limelet absolutely loved the beach.  There was a thunderstorm in the afternoon, but at least we got in a good long morning of digging in the sand and paddling in the water.  He was really upset to leave, of course.  I can't wait to take him again.
 
Limelet is thriving in his new classroom.  He likes his teachers and talks to them spontaneously (I've seen it), and goes readily to them in the morning when I drop him off.  It's just a way better situation.  Limelet now discerns between cumulus and cirrus clouds (learned in daycare), and sings little songs that I have to look up online to figure out what they are. They have the same super-late, super-long naptime as the rest of the center (1-3pm), so he just doesn't go to sleep until 10pm.  It's ridiculous, I know.  But if we put him to bed earlier, he's awake from 2-5am, which is way worse.
 
When we were at the state park, there was a woman there with three children ranging in age from maybe 4 to 10.  We first started noticing her when her daughter was playing in the sand with Limelet.  They were happily pouring water into sandy holes near the water's edge, when the mother started closely directing into exactly which hole her daughter should pour the water, and in what manner.  "No, not that one--the other one.  No--inside the hole!"  Geez, I thought, here come anxiety disorders galore for this child.  Moments later, the mother started badgering her about how her tummy looked, and asking whether she had just eaten a lot of food or something.  I tell you, this kid was a skinny-to-normal four-year-old kid (and very cute).  The mother was quite heavy, so it was no leap of imagination to see her dumping her own anxieties all over the daughter.  Here comes the disordered eating, too, I mentally added. 
 
She continued to loudly harangue, micro-manage, and viciously nag her kids, especially singling out the daughter and one of the two boys for whatever reason.  (Nice vacation for them, huh?) This culminated shortly before we left, when she screamed at her son, who did not want to go near a busy nest of massive hornets at one end of the beach.  She wanted him to get something or cross that area for some reason; I don't know.  What she shrieked was "If you don't get over there right now I am going to pull down your pants and spank you in front of the entire beach for being a sissy about some bees!"  And then as an aside to me muttered that it was as if a monster was going to jump out of the beach and bite him.  Well, it was--it just wasn't the hornets.
 
I just don't get how someone can think that's even close to okay to say to their kids at ALL, let alone imagine that it's okay to scream it in public.  I know we all lose our tempers sometimes, but this wasn't losing her temper--this was hours of just miserable, wretched nagging.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

GAWD. And I'm terrified of any stinging creatures. I sympathize wholly.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home