Monday, November 13, 2006

The Fur Mother Emerges

I launched this blog on Monday, my son Limelet's 8-week birthday. I meant to start one much earlier. However, I haven't had the time to write anything much so far, due to aforementioned 8-week-old. I wrote a bit of this Wednesday, and it's now Thursday. Perhaps I'll finally publish it today!

This is more or less a continuation of the blog I started when I found out I was pregnant, which I no longer am. Perhaps I'll have occasion to write in it again someday, but for now, here's the next level.

Why Fur Mother?

Have you heard of the (cruel, of course) experiment in which baby monkeys were offered wire mothers with milk feeders and furry mothers with no milk? Well, if not, read about it here.

I must admit I was inspired by this blogger's description, although I am not experiencing the nursing challenges she describes. I just subscribe to the similar idea that the best gift you can give your child is a happy, f#rry parent, so that is the ideal to which I aspire.

I'm doing my best to follow the basic premises of attachment parenting, though I hope that I can see my way to be flexible and take what I need rather than being slavish. It just seems like the parenting philosophy that most closely follows what I already believe.

I have to admit, some days the attachment parenting ideal and the happy parent ideal seem in direct conflict. However, most of life is a balancing act anyway, so why should this be any different? I will most likely complain and vent a lot here about this conflict--when I have time, that is. I pretty much only go online when my son is willing to nurse while I sit in the office chair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home