Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wow!

Limelet slept last night from 9pm to 4:30am.  And I slept from 10pm to 4am (when he started stirring.)  That's a record 6 hours of sleep in a row!

He was doing well on the new post-teething night-weaning program (a month ago), but after the first week he became ill, and then had 3 illnesses in 3 weeks, so it pretty much went out the window.  I still feel terribly guilty for the first night when I didn't realize he was sick, and would only give him a sippy cup instead of nursie.  Poor little thing.

But now that he is done with teething and is no longer sick, his personality has  suddenly blossomed.  It's an amazing change.  He's so much more cheerful and patient and generally happy.  Just goes to show what chronic pain can do to a person.  And what would he be like if he hadn't experienced that for the first 2.5 years of his life?  I'm certain his sleep would be very different by now, and a whole host of other related things.  Including his diet--he's sudddenly eating up a storm again.  He began doing so after his teething was over, but then he got sick immediately and his appetite diminished again.

I predict he will become a vegetarian, like so many on both sides of my family.  I brought home a roasted chicken from the supermarket the other day, and I was cutting some pieces off the leg for Limelet.  He watched carefully and then happily exclaimed "Meat weg! Wike Dack's weg!" while grabbing his little thigh with both hands.  Well, he already likes soy milk amd eats soy sausages for breakfast every day, so it shouldn't be too shocking when it happens.

He recently had a "well-baby" visit (Daddy took him).  His ear infection was all cleared up, thank heavens (as we could tell by his behavior anyway).  His height was 37" and he weighed 28#.  Accoridng to  the percentile calculator , and he is in the 77th percentile for height and 41st percentile for weight.  So he's actually gone up in his weight percentile: it used to be 25th.  Glad to know he's gaining some weight, even if he's still tall and thin.  Which is normal for my family, anyway.  Not sure about TheLimey's.  I still think Limelet will turn out to be a tall guy, as I have thought since he was born.

Mary Poppins is still his favorite movie, replacing Rat (Ratatouille) after many months.  He has memorized way too many passages of it, and talks about the "flying Mama" at day care.  It took me a while to realized he was referring to Mary Poppins flying off with her umbrella.

He does seem to have somewhat of an English accent, at least as far as his r's go.  One of the support staff at the doctor's apparently told TheLimey that she remembered Jack as having "the vocabulary of a college student."  (This may unfortunately be true in the case of some college students.)  He is beginning to play with other kids more at day care (as opposed to parallel play).  He's also generally more comfortable just going there and being there.  Today he sat down at the breakfast table with the other children when I took him in, instead of needing to be handed over to the daycarer personally.  When he feels better physically (i.e. not sick, teething, or exhausted), he's a lot less clingy on me (understandably) so this teething and sleeping business could make  a lot of other everyday things easier, too.

Limelet has begun drawing up a storm lately.  He wasn't that interested before, but now he really is.  He also got some Play-Doh (and the extruder), which he loved to bits.  We need to get some more already.  His other favorite activity these days is basketball (still).  He wants us to shoot hoops with him at his little PlaySkool basketball hoop that I got him on eBay for his bIrthday last summer.  We sure are getting the most out  of that particular $20, that's for sure.

I feed him whatever the heck he wants, and it works. He wanted some chocolate the other day, and I let him have some.  After one bite, he asked for an apple, some meat, and some milk, and ate large amounts of those instead.  He eats lots of whole-grain couscous, homemade stew, and anything with potatoes.  I think his weight will go up somewhat, at least I hope so.


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Obviously he's saying the German weg. "Meat away!"

Mmmm. Now I want me some taters. Hey, I have some in the fridge!

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home