Tuesday, April 13, 2010

3...2...1... Aaaand We Have Literacy!

As of last week, Limelet can suddenly read three words. Well, two phrases, perhaps. "ZOO" and "THE END."  Both gleaned from media, of course.
 
"ZOO" he actually gets the whole letters/sounds concept and it happened rather suddenly. I pointed out the letters and their sounds in his favorite video game ("Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo") and he just got it, and now recognizes the word when he sees it anywhere. 
 
As for "THE END" I think he just recognizes the overall look of the phrase, especially in context. "TH" is a kind of hard letter combination to get initially.
 
He loves for me to point out the letters in his name while sounding them out. I guess he recognizes his name, too, come to think of it. But mostly the first letter.
 
So far, he doesn't recognize "bigfoot" but I'm sure it'll be any day now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home