Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Okay,

I take it back about him going to sleep earlier...sort of.

Yes, he's going to sleep around 7:30 or 8:00, but it's more like a series of light naps until about 10:00. (When he needs us in there in order to stay asleep anyway.) So I end up going in there so much to put him back to sleep, it's like I'm having to lie there keeping him asleep for hours until it's already past my bedtime anyway. Feel like I might as well pack it in at 7:30 myself. But I desperately need some decompression time after a 15 or 16 hour shift. (Even just 20 minutes helps.)

I got kinda cranky last night after the third time spending 40 minutes putting him to sleep within a two hour stretch.

I know you're supposed to try to dash in and keep them asleep as much as possible at night so their bodies get in and maintain the habit of being asleep at that time (unless you're in the cry-it-out school of thought, which I'm definitely not).

I wonder how many years that actually takes...

2 Comments:

Blogger PostCards said...

There's a good thread about this at mothering.commune: http://tinyurl.com/yrtfjp

There are lots of good tips there. Hopefully you'll find something helpful.

I think there's a middle ground between parenting to sleep and crying it out, it's a matter of finding out what works for babe that mum and dad can live with long term. Hang in there!

9:41 AM  
Blogger liz said...

Yikes! Most of them were discussing children from 4 to 6. So 4 to 6 more years, ya think? ;)

Actually, I don't mind the parenting-to-sleep thing. He does actually go to sleep pretty quickly (7 minutes to sleep is usual, 17 minutes to me walking out of the room).

I just wish he would go back to staying asleep (albeit with brief feedings every hour or so) as he used to do, instead of this thing lately where he's having so much trouble staying asleep for more than 10 minutes at a stretch.

I think it's just developmental, sleep consolidation, all that stuff.

That is a nice forum, though. I should have known they'd have one. Some day I'll browse through it!

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home